- 1 cup - Buttermilk at room temperature
- 2 tsp - Active dry yeast
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cup - Unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- ¼ cup - Sugar
- 1 tsp - Salt
- 4 cup - All-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
Red Habanero Icing
- 5 tbsp - Milk
- 3 tbsp - El Yucateco Red Habanero Hot Sauce
- 4 Red food coloring (optional)
- 3 tbsp - Melted butter
- 3 cup - Icing sugar
- In a bowl, combine buttermilk and yeast. Let sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes or until the mixture is slightly foamy.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Add eggs, melted butter and buttermilk mixture. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes or until dough is smooth.
- Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature until dough has doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured surface and roll to ½ inch thickness. With a cookie cutter, cut circles of about 3 inch diameter. Using a smaller cookie cutter, cut ½ inch holes at the center of the donuts. Transfer donuts and holes to a baking sheet and cover with lightly oiled plastic wrap. Let rest at room temperature until donuts has almost doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat deep fryer oil to 350 F. Fry 4 donuts at a time until golden brown, about 4 minutes, rotating halfway through frying. Remove from oil and transfer to a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Leave to cool completely. Repeat to fry donut holes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together icing ingredients until smooth. Dip one side of each donut into icing and transfer to a wire rack to rest for 10 minutes. Dip donut holes fully into icing.