Molasses Black Garlic Purée
- 8 cloves Black garlic
- 1 Fresh ginger
- 2 tsp - Fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp - Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp - Kosher or coarse sea salt
- 2 tbsp - Whole grain mustard
- 2 tbsp - Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp - Cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp - Red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp - Molasses
Mustard Bourbon Basting Sauce
- ½ cup - (1 stick) Butter
- ¼ cup - Bourbon whiskey
- 3 tbsp - Whole grain mustard
- 1 tsp - Kosher or coarse sea salt
Wood Fired Chicory Salad
- 2 lb - Mixed chicories, we use endive and radicchio
- 1 Red onion, sliced in half
- 1 cup - Cherry tomatoes, preferable on grapes
- 4 oz - Pancetta or thick cut bacon
- 1 cup - Rocket salad
- 2 tbsp - Chives, chopped
- Honey Mustard Dressing, homemade or store bought
Pork Tomahawk Spit Roast
- Build a fire in the KUDU: empty a full chimney of hot coals and stack 2 to 3 logs on top of the coals.
- Using a mortar and pestle or a food processor, crush or pulse the black garlic, ginger, thyme and salt to make a paste. Add the whole grain mustard, balsamic vinegar, black pepper, red peppers flakes and molasses and mix to combine.
- Reserve about 3 tbsp of the black garlic purée for later and spread the rest evenly on the tomahawk pork roast. Thread pork roast onto the rotisserie rod and secure with the adjustable rotisserie forks.
- Insert the end of the rod into the motor socket and turn on the rotisserie. Cook the roast until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 110°F.
- Halfway through cooking, place a cast iron skillet with 1/2 cup butter on a bed of embers. Once the butter is completely melted, add the whole grain mustard, bourbon and salt. Brush the roast with the bourbon mustard sauce occasionally to keep it moist.
- Once the roast has reached an internal temperature of 110°F, remove from heat and let rest at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes. Install the stainless steel cooking grate and position it close to the fire.
- Cut the roast into steaks, slicing between the bones, then brush the steaks on both sides with the remaining black garlic purée.
- Grill the tomahawk pork steaks on the hot grate until they reach an internal temperature of 145°F, about 1 to 3 minutes per side. Serve with Wood Fired Chicory Salad.
Wood Fired Chicory Salad
- Slice the chicories and red onion in half, then drizzle all vegetables except the rocket salad with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Starting with the onions a few minutes ahead, grill the onions, chicories, cherry tomatoes and pancetta. Cook until the outside of the vegetables are charred, the onions are slightly soft and the pancetta or bacon is crisp.
- Cut the grilled onions and chicories into chunks and dice the grilled pancetta or bacon. Combine with the tomatoes and rocket salad then drizzle with honey mustard dressing and chives. Season with black pepper to taste.