- 2 lb - Ribeye roast
- ½ tbsp - Garlic salt
- 1 tsp - Black pepper
- 2 tbsp - Olive oil
- 2 White onions, thinly sliced
- 9 Slices of provolone cheese
- 3 Hoagie rolls
* This recipe works equally well on a gas grill using a smoker box for smoking the meat.
- Place the ribeye roast in the freezer for 45 minutes; This makes it easier to slice;
- Preheat your grill at 400°F – If you are using a gas grill, turn every burner to medium/high; If you are using a charcoal grill, lay a thin bed of lit charcoal evenly inside your cooking area – Place your grilling stone on the grill grate over direct heat and close the lid until in reaches its desired temperature;
- Cut the semi-frozen ribeye roast into thin slices of ¼ to ⅛ thick, then season the meat with garlic salt and ground black pepper;
- Pour 2 tbsp olive oil on your preheated grilling stone and add the sliced onions; Grill until golden brown then move toward one edge of the stone to make space for the meat; Place the meat in the center of the stone and toss a handful of oak wood chips onto hot coals for smoking; Close the lid and let smoke for about 6 minutes;
- Combine the grill meat and onions on the stone and divide into 3 servings; Place 3 slices of provolone cheese on top of each serving and close the lid again for the cheese to melt;
- With a barbecue spatula, transfer each cheesesteak serving into a hoagie roll and serve. Enjoy.