- 4 Chicken drumsticks
- 4 Chicken thighs
- 2 ½ cup - Buttermilk
- 2 tbsp - El Yucateco Red Habanero Sauce
- 2 tsp - Sea salt
- 2 tsp - Black pepper
- 2 tsp - Garlic powder
- 2 cup - Self-rising flour
- 2 tsp - Cornstarch
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 8 Belgian waffles
Honey Habanero Sauce
- ⅓ cup - Honey
- ⅓ cup - El Yucateco Red Habanero Sauce
- Combine buttermilk, 2 tbsp Red Habanero sauce, 1 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp black pepper and 1 tsp garlic powder in a bowl. Place chicken parts in a reclosable plastic bag and pour the buttermilk marinade into the bag. Press to remove most air from the bag and store in refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Combine all Honey Habanero Sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Heat oil to 350°F in a deep fryer or frying pan.
- Combine 2 cup self-rising flour, cornstarch, 1 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp black pepper and 1 tsp garlic powder into a bowl.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk and toss into flour mixture to coat. Immediately transfer to hot oil and cook until internal temperature of the meat reaches between 170°F to 175°F on an instant read thermometer, about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from oil and let rest for 5 minutes on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Serve chicken on toasted belgian waffles with a generous drizzle of honey habanero sauce.