- 1 cup - All-purpose flour
- 1 cup - Fine yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup - Sugar
- 2 tsp - Baking powder
- ¼ tsp - Baking soda
- ½ tsp - Salt
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cup - Butter, melted
- 1 cup - Buttermilk
- 1 ½ cup - Sharp Cheddar, grated
- 4 oz - El Yucateco Red Habanero Hot Sauce
- Preheat your charcoal grill for indirect heat to 350°F.
- Butter a 10 inch cast iron skillet.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs with melted butter and buttermilk. Slowly add the dry ingredients, stirring gently with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheddar.
- Transfer batter to a buttered skillet. Pour the Red Habanero hot sauce in different places over the batter. Using a wooden skewer, gently stir the sauce into the batter to create irregular patterns of hot sauce throughout the cornbread.
- Transfer cornbread to the grill over indirect heat and close the lid. Cook for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cornbread comes out clean.
- Let rest 15 minutes before serving.