- 1 Whole chicken, 3 to 5 lbs
- 2 tbsp - Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp - Kosher or coarse sea salt
- 1 tbsp - Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp - Lemon pepper seasoning
- ½ tsp - Cayenne pepper
Tools and Supplies
Grill press or cast iron skillet
- Using kitchen shears or a sharp knife, remove the chicken’s backbone and make a cut through the breastbone from the inside so the chicken can lay flat like an open book. Tuck the tip of each wing under the drumette.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl. Brush chicken on both sides with extra virgin olive and season with the spice blend.
- Set your Memphis Grill to Low flame with the direct flame insert. We recommend using a blend of hickory and pecan wood pellets.
- Place the chicken skin side down on the grill and place a cast iron grill press or cast iron skillet over the chicken to flatten. Close the lid and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Watch for flare-ups and move the chicken as needed to avoid burning. Flip the bird and place the grill press or skillet over the chicken again. Continue cooking to an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Remove chicken from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes at room temperature before serving.