As I sat at my desk, brainstorming ideas for the perfect snack to serve at our upcoming Metal Gear Solid game night, I knew I wanted something unique and spicy. That’s when the idea for chipotle caramel popcorn hit me.
I gathered my ingredients and got to work, first spreading a layer of plain or salted popcorn evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Next, I combined sugar, corn syrup, and water in a medium saucepan and brought the mixture to a boil. I let it cook over medium-high heat until it turned a beautiful amber caramel color.
Once the caramel was ready, I removed the saucepan from the heat and immediately added diced, cold salted butter. I whisked the butter into the caramel until it was fully melted and incorporated, and then stirred in a generous amount of El Yucateco Chipotle Sauce for a spicy kick.
Finally, I drizzled the hot caramel sauce over the popcorn, leaving it to cool and harden. I couldn’t help but imagine sneaking up on enemies in Metal Gear Solid as I crunched on the spicy, crunchy treats. I knew that this snack would be the perfect addition to our next game night, providing fuel for stealthy missions and intense boss battles. With the Chipotle Caramel Popcorn in tow, I was ready to take on any challenge that came my way.
- 8 cup - Plain or salted popcorn (store bought or homemade)
- 1 cup - Sugar
- ¼ cup - Corn syrup
- ¼ cup - Water
- ½ cup - Cold salted butter, diced
- 3 tbsp - El Yucateco Chipotle Sauce
- Spread the popcorn evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and water. Bring to a boil and let cook over medium-high heat until mixture turns to an amber caramel color.
- Remove from heat and immediately add butter. Whisk until butter is fully melted and incorporated then stir in Chipotle hot sauce.
- Drizzle hot caramel sauce over the popcorn and leave to cool. Break into chunks and serve.